#340: Snorkel not included
About the show
Sponsored by InfluxDB from Influxdata.
Connect with the hosts
Join us on YouTube at pythonbytes.fm/live to be part of the audience. Usually Tuesdays at 11am PT. Older video versions available there too.
Brian #1: PythonGUIS
- Martin Fitzpatrick
- A site with a collection of resources, guides, books, comparisons, etc, around GUIs in Python.
- Martin recommends starting with PyQT6
- However, there are tutorials covering
- even Kivy
Michael #2: JupyterLab 4.0 is Here
- The next major release of our full-featured development environment
- You can upgrade by running
pip install --upgrade jupyterlabor
conda install -c conda-forge jupyterlab.
- JupyterLab is now faster, thanks to improvements such as CSS rules optimization, CodeMirror 6, MathJax 3, and notebook windowing. JupyterLab 3 was when working with large notebooks.
- There are additional performance improvements available via opt-in settings:
- Faster tab-switching on Chromium browsers:
- “Settings” → “JupyterLab Shell” → switch “Hidden mode” to “contentVisibility”
- Better performance with long notebooks:
- “Settings” → “Notebook” → switch “Windowing mode” to “full”
- An upgraded text editor.
- Better real time collaboration.
- Bug fixes. More than 100 bugs have been addressed and resolved, enhancing JupyterLab’s stability and performance.
Brian #3: Proposing a struct syntax for Python
- Brett Cannon
- This would be a cool syntax for a data only type:
struct Point(x: int, y: int)
- No positional only parameters
- No inheritance
- No methods
- Instances would be immutable, so
p = Point(1, 2)would create an object that could be used as a key.
- A data only focused set of types.
Michael #4: Python 3.13 Removes 20 Stdlib Modules
- via PyCoders
- From PEP 594 – Removing dead batteries from the standard library we’re saying goodbye to
- As well as the 2to3 program and lib2to3 module in Python.
- Python 3.12 final release is scheduled in 4 months (October 2023) and Python 3.13 final release is scheduled in 1 year and 4 months (October 2024).
- Affirming your PSF Membership voting status
- You have until June 15 to affirm your voting rights in the upcoming Board Election, if you care about such things.
- 5 Career Tips for Budding Python Developers video
- PyCon US 2023 videos are up
- Python 3.11.4, 3.10.12, 3.9.17, 3.8.17, 3.7.17, and 3.12.0 beta 2 are now available
Joke: Snorkel not included