Episode #57: Our take on Excel and Python
Published Thu, Dec 21, 2017, recorded Tue, Dec 19, 2017.
Sponsored by DigitalOcean: http://digitalocean.com
- Anthony Shaw
- tox allows you to run the same tests in multiple configurations.
- For example, multiple Python interpreters (2 vs 3), or on different hardware, or using different options, etc.
- tox can also tests your packaging code (on by default, but can be disabled)
- detox allows multiple configurations to be tested in parallel with multiprocessing
- typically running all tests 2-4 times faster
- retox does this with a GUI
- also adds “watch” capability
Michael #2: Robo 3T / RoboMongo
- MongoDB GUI with embedded shell
- CLI interaction
- GUI when you want it
- No. 34 repository on GitHub
Brian #3: regular expressions
- Regular Expressions Practical Guide
- Python examples for some common expressions
- How to use the built in re package for email addresses, URLs, phone numbers
- substitution with
- splitting a string with
- what some of the escape shortcuts mean, like
\sfor whitespace, etc.
- iterating through matches with
- Using compiled expressions
- Regular Expressions for Data Scientists
- another great intro, that also talks about:
- match groups
Michael #4: MongoEngine
- MongoEngine is a Document-Object Mapper (think ORM, but for document databases) for working with MongoDB from Python.
- Map classes to MongoDB (think SQLAlchemy but for document databases)
- Adds features lacking from MongoDB
- Required fields
Brian #5: Introducing PrettyPrinter for Python
- a powerful, syntax-highlighting, and declarative pretty printer for Python 3.6
- Implement an algorithm that tries very hard to produce pretty output, even if it takes a bit more work.
- Implement a dead simple, declarative interface to writing your own pretty printers. Python developers rarely write
__repr__methods because they're a pain; no one will definitely write pretty printing rules for user-defined types unless it's super simple.
- Implement syntax-highlighting that doesn't break on invalid Python syntax.
Michael #6: Excel and Python
- Replace VBA
- Python in Excel as the main scripting language
- They need feedback (fill out their survey, upvote the issue)